We all deserve a treat every once in a while-everything in moderation, right? But we have to do it correctly; we don’t want these indulgences to reverse all of our hard work and sweatglisten we put in the gym! A lot of “health nuts” give themselves a cheat meal and/or day throughout the week or on the weekends, but there’s a fine line when that cheat meal becomes an all out binge sesh. Here are a couple of tips to cheating the right way while still sticking to an overall healthy yet decadent lifestyle:
- think of a cheat meal/day as a “special” treat-they only happen once in a while, so savior each and every bite and realize that another cheater will be right around the corner(almost).
- if you cheated earlier in the day, skip that extra serving or piece at the later meals and vice versa. always have a plan!
- don’t forget your workouts! even if you take weekends off, going for a walk or even taking a yoga class is active recovery and may help with feelings of guilt.
- keep in mind that coming back to your diet following your cheat meal/day will be tough. cheeseburgers, mashed potatoes, and pie are a lot more palatable than grilled chicken, brown rice, and steamed broccoli.
- while “cheating” keep scraps, skins, bones, etc. in plain sight. seeing how much you’ve eaten will tell you when enough is enough (if your stomach hasn’t told you yet ).
- if liquor and socializing are involved,watch portions. we often get ahead of ourselves when conversation is flowing and drinks are pouring!